17 December 2007

Knitting and maths

Yesterday I got this email through my walkabout knitter email account. Several other folks also forwarded it to me and I've forwarded it on to others.

I've done a little interactive embellishment to make it more blog friendly and let people get more details in one stop.

Here's the text of the email and the links I've added:

Interested in abstract mathematics and love to knit?

Come to the Knitting Circle, Monday, January 7, 2008 from 8:15pm to 9:45pm. in the Warner Center room of the San Diego Marriott Hotel Marina.

The Joint Mathematics Meetings (the national conference for academic mathematicians) will be in San Diego January 6th - 9th. As part of this conference, Sarah-Marie Belcastro and Carolyn Yackel, co-editors of the new book _Making Mathematics with Needlework_, will be hosting their annual Knitting Circle.

It's a gathering at which mathematical crafters sit around and knit, crochet, tat, bead, etc. Sometimes the discussion is mainly mathemati
al, and sometimes it's just about knitting. In the past, it has only been open to conference participants, but this year we're opening it up to members of the public who love mathematics.

I, of course, immediately googled the author of the email and found a wealth of knitting maths inspiration from links on her web page including some quilted items that I think I can render in knitted polygons in addition to that knitted soccer ball that's on the will do list and yes, I'm already parsing the polygon and short row modular possibilities.

The German language maths connection still hasn't funded the paypal account for the cover photo of knitted polygon so I'm guessing that I won't have that street cred to show at the January event so I guess I'll just have to knit an Archimedean solid or two bewteen now & then -- no worries.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home