04 November 2011

Knitted stem socks or silly wine stuff

The didn't make it in time for Halloween 2011 projects include a partially completed knitted black cat, knitted witch and a spider web.

Two of the three projects are sitting in project bags with needles and instruction notes waiting for me to revisit them. The spiderweb project is sitting near the front door taunting me to test my crochet meets kynar wire skills so we'll see which project queues up first.

If I were a lady who boo bags her friends those projects would be done not waiting to be done but I'm a bag (project) lady not a boo bag lady so cat and witch are on hold until I can cycle back around to them when the "oh I need those needles so I'd better make progress on those projects" situation arises.

But in the proof that I am not so far removed from boo bag ladies, I was in a must knit something mode, I picked up needles, some scrap yarn and found that the same modified recipe for the knitted pumpkins created a kinda kewl stem sock coaster for stemmed glassware.

Unlike the pumpkins, in sewing up you just cinch up the bottom and seam 1/2 way up the side seam leaving a slit for the glassware to slide into.

My neighbour has the defacto wine bar of the court yard so I thought I'd gen some of these up using left over sock weight yarn and combine them with a corkscrew and a couple bottles of wine for holiday cheer.

Wool is a better wicking fabric for this silly hostess gift so digging about for suitable wool/wool blends with an eye for my neighbour's taste/preferences is a bit of a challenge for my mostly warm weather doesn't knit socks stash of yarn but I think I can crank out enough to keep the local wine glasses clothed and classy.

If this sounds like a too much time on my hands thing, please bear in mind that back even before my brief not working except to volunteer and/or support spouse's career days I had a bad habit of cutting out the caterer by doing my own events with full menus so knocking out a few silly stemware socks in my spare time is a no brainer that keeps my hands busy while I'm thinking about other projects/problems.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home