24 November 2008

A random shuffle of events

I took this snap during a walkabout in August (one of those missing months). As near as I can tell this is a rare and obviously wrong concrete stamping effort that some one had to have done in a dyslexic moment or grins and giggles.

Have I mentioned that I love my suite of applets at iGoogle? Along with my heavy bandwidth random shuffle of flickr interesting images, Nihongo word of the day, Shakespearean insults, visual thesaurus and other as my whim and bandwidth mood swings choices, I have a This Day in History applet.

In this week's random stuff what caught my attention include:

  • Junipero Serra was born in 1718 on Majorca.
  • Darwin's Origin of the Species was published in 1859
  • In 1869, women from 21 states converged in Cleveland to form the American Women Suffrage Association.
  • In an unrelated note, in 1871, the American Rifle Association was incorporated with Major General Ambrose E. Burnside as its first president
  • Barbed wire was patented in 1874
  • In 1947 Dale Carnegie was born and the Hollywood 10 did not win friends and influence the right people as they were cited for contempt of Congress for refusing to answer
  • DB Cooper, with a hefty chunk of change, jumping out of a perfectly 727 and into infamy and mystery back in 1971.
Today in 2008 it was just so very Monday and yes, I am easily amused and that's kind of a good thing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home