05 March 2009

Labels aren't everything but I like these

A few years back, my day job went on a big Introvert/extrovert define Myers Briggs types kick and, while I found it interesting, I also found it terribly flawed on several levels.

What I recall most is that, while it was supposed to be team building and instead you had those who defined themselves as introverts expressing a bit of aggression at those they defined as extroverts for tiring and/or wearing them out.

I found the whole experience to be a bit disturbing and this whole us versus them business to be a serious facilitator failure.

Perhaps because I've always been a serious borderline personality on such intro/extro silly scales, I just don't get all wrapped up in types and labels -- too much like shorthand that keeps you from actually paying attention to the person in the moment.

Sometimes I get energy from people and sometimes they drain me. Some people drain me more than others.

And for those of you just convinced I'm such an extrovert, how come I can literally go for days without uttering a single word to another living soul and be okay with that? The answer is that I'm not that much of an extrovert but I'm also not that much of an introvert either

So mostly I don't think that labels make much sense and they should never be relied upon as predictive of behaviour.

I can pretty confident that I've always had some if not all of the behaviours that earned me the need and geek labels but I also know that very few people would have believed I had any of those inclinations or labeled me as such when I was in my t-decades.

On Ravelry, one of the few groups I belong to is the GeekCraft group and that's where the series of silly tests came into my life.

I may be a total computer freak but I am more nerd than geek and I'm not much of a dork.

Here's the first test result:

78% nerd, 35% geek and 9% dork.

On a peer to peer basis, I was:

88% more nerdish
46% more geekish
03% more dorkish

So does this mean that most women my age are more dorky than I am? I feel so socially adept.

Second round:


I am nerdier than 98% of all people. Are you a nerd? Click here to take the Nerd Test, get geeky images and jokes, and talk on the nerd forum!


And the latest:


NerdTests.com says I'm an Uber Cool Nerd Queen.  Click here to take the Nerd Test, get geeky images and jokes, and write on the nerd forum!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home